Saturday 2 December 2017

BRINGING MYSELF UNDER THE SCOPE. 

Once upon a time, I heard doctors aren't encouraged to treat themselves nor their loved ones. One of the reasons advanced by the proponent of this view is that the doctor in question may not be objective enough. His judgements can be or may be clouded by emotion. 

As a teacher, I believe this can be our lot to an extent but sometimes confronting ourselves with the truth can be the best antidote man will ever invent. 

What is the essence of finishing one's scheme, delivering well packaged lessons and somewhere within the ranks of your student, there is a child who is not comfortable with your subject and can't voice out his/her problems to you? 

He or she doesn't trust you enough to handle the situation with the courtesy it deserves. He/she goes about brooding, of course incapable of solving his/her problem, carrying  such burden on their shoulders. 

I fear for myself and what I do. I fear I may have such student in my class and I wouldn't be able to offer a helping hand. 

I fear for the fate of such student in any life defining exams. 

How do I find out such students? How do I get them to master their fear, trust me enough to come forward and speak their mind. 

I need to find ways of making them place their cards on the table. They must have their views and opinions sorted out and I believe I am in a better position to fix it. 

But I must be able to command their trust. They must implicitly trust me with their views on life. Of course without compromising the ethics of my profession. 

But how do I achieve this? 

No comments: