Monday 20 November 2017

WORDS ALONE CAN'T PULL OFF THAT MAGIC... 

Each time I teach, I can't help but ask myself how my students interact with the lesson content at their own level and pace. It is a burden that weighs heavily on my mind. 

I would give a dime to have a glimpse at the inner workings of their mind. 

How do they understand words or perceive it? Were they able to personally relate to what was taught or was it just a vague idea somewhere in their head? 

Sometimes I repeat a phrase or a sentence in different ways, I use examples they should be familiar with etc. Yet I still feel that words alone wouldn't forge the kind of experience I would want them to establish with the lesson content. 

I think they is something wrong with spoken words (alone) especially with students with low imagination capacity. The ability to abstract, squeeze out meaning from spoken words is lost on them. 

Don't know whether such has been your experience.

I can't shake that feeling of dread and disappointment anytime a student fails my test. What was I missing, what did I fail to do? 

If they are as wise and smart as their teacher, would they be in school, need my help? 

Spoken words are limited believe me. The limitation lies with the students unique learning background and not the teacher. 

One method will and can never work for many. 

No comments: