Monday 27 November 2017

WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW CAN(NOT) KILL YOU. 

Whenever suicide bombers blow up a location in Europe or in the United States of America, one of the questions security agencies are posited with is what they know about such person. This results in what is popularly called background check. 

At the end of the exercise, everybody, everything associated with the bomber is probably known to them. His itinerary since he stepped into the country is not left out as well. Nothing bits a good background check. 

Background check requires human resources and ICT resources, and can be expensive to conduct. When properly done, one can argue that apart from God no one has much information about the targeted person than the agency in question. 

As a teacher, this is one unique tool I wish I am extremely good at - knowing my students, where they come from, their experience in other schools, parental influence etc. 

Not only that, I also need to know how developed their imagination is, their assimilation rate, how they experience learning personally and lots more. 

It may be difficult but the last Open Day taught me the immense gains of a harmless conversation with their parents. I had also discovered that students are willing to share if you sincerely ask some fact finding questions. 

The reason for a background check is simple, the more I know about them, the more I understand their unique learning pattern and most importantly answer the question how imaginative are they. 

It would be time consuming for a school to find out all these. So this may be how I can be of help to my school too. 

Genuinely trying to know someone engenders trust. It is a win win situation. The child believes I care enough and the quality of what and how I teach gets better. 

No comments: